Learning Management System
A Learning Management System (LMS) is a software application that enables the management of a learning and training environment. It essentially provides students and employees with a complete virtual study environment. Most LMSs are web-based, allowing them to be accessed anytime and anywhere. Consequently, LMSs are extensively used for e-learning.
LMSs typically include:
- The ability to manage courses, instructors and students
- A calendar
- Messaging and notifications
- Administrating tests and grading
- Displaying scores and transcripts
- Grading of coursework and roster processing, including wait listing
- Web-based or blended course delivery
Additionally, most LMSs have the ability to be customized and configured in order to best accommodate an organization's specific needs.
The implementation and importance of LMSs is rapidly expanding in both the education and corporate training. Bersin estimates the LMS market at $1B.
Groopex integrates Moodle with the high-quality web conferencing services of Cisco's WebEx and Citrix GoToMeeting. Moodle is a popular open-source LMS. This integrated platform offers organization's a state-of-the-art online distance teaching and learning environment, complete with live interactive online classrooms.