Web conferencing allows multiple participants from various locations to communicate live using audio, video, chat, shared desktop and other communication tools. Applications include meetings, training events, lectures and presentations. Participants generally access the meetings via their web browser. Web conferencing is usually sold as a service, hosted on the provider's servers. Alternatively, some web conferencing services offer a server side solution allowing the customer to host web conferencing communications on its own servers.
Typical web conferencing features include:
- Audio communication using VoIP, some platforms also enable participants to dial in via a phone line, improving audio quality
- Video showing participants using webcams, a number of videos may be displayed on the screen simultaneously depending on the platform used
- Chatting allowing participants to text each other (private) or the whole conference (public)
- Screen sharing enabling the presenter to show his screen either fully or partially to the conference participants, some platforms allow participants to be given control of the presenter's screen
- Document sharing allowing participants to display documents and edit them concurrently
- Presentations allowing the presentation of various media files such as images, video and audio
- A whiteboard where participants can annotate on presented items or make notes on a blank whiteboard
- Meeting recording which allows the meeting to be fully recorded, saved in an archive and viewed or distributed at a later time
- Polls and surveys enabling the presenter to ask questions to the participants
- Web tours where URLs, data from forms, cookies, scripts and session data are transferred to other participants enabling them to directly navigate and use presented websites
Groopex integrates Moodle with the high-quality web conferencing services of Cisco's WebEx and Microsoft's Live Meeting. Moodle is a popular open-source LMS. This integrated platform provides you with a complete elearning platform, which includes live interactive classrooms.